Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mây's Cafe


My favorite phơ combo is tái gân (rare steak & tendon) $4.99
I love Vietnamese food. I think it's my favorite Southeast Asian cuisine. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of good places to get it in Fresno especially compared to Westminster, CA (little Saigon of CA). But I've made due and found a couple of decent places. My favorite dish is phơ but I haven't really found a place worthy of my affection or $$ in town. My bro and his lady like Mây's Cafe so we finally went and tried it. They serve Vietnamese food in typical Asian cafe style with pictures of most of the food on the walls. Compared to the other Vietnamese restaurants in the area, this place is far cleaner, not clean by western restaurant standards but your shoes don't stick to the floor and your chopsticks don't stick to the tables-that's always a good thing. My favorite Vietnamese dish is by far phơ: vermicelli rice noodles in a beef broth topped with your choice of beef cuts. They also serve it with bean sprouts, onions, cilantro, basil, chili pepper, mint, green onions and lime. Some people like to add all, some or none of the things to their soup. I personally add almost everything except basil and mist witch I like to eat fresh on the side. The phơ at Mây's is nothing exceptional but it's not horrible either. The broth is probably a combo of instant and/or packaged broth that they most likely cook with some beef to give it some authenticity. 

Bún Thit Nương with Egg rolls $7.25 
My husband's favorite Vietnamese dish is bun: cold vermicelli rice noodles mixed with fresh cut greens (lettuce, cilantro, bean sprouts) served with your choice of BBQ meat and/or egg rolls with spiced fish sauce. My husband enjoys BBQ pork with egg rolls. Too bad none of the Fresno places we visited serve bun with thin vermicelli noodles because it tastes a whole lot better. Instead it's served with more spaghetti like rice noodles, too thick in my opinion. Like their phơ, their bun is nothing exceptional. Their egg rolls are made with the flour won ton skin and not the traditional Vietnamese rice paper which makes them heavier and sub-par. 
Combination Fried Rice $6.99
My husband and I really enjoy their combination fried rice, the Chinese sausage make it yummy and special but other than that it's your standard cafe style fried rice with all the meats and canned vegetables (veg-all is it?).  

Cơm Sươn Bí Trưng (Sauteed Pork Chop, Mixed BBQ Pork, Skin Style Pork, Steamed Egg w/steamed rice) $6.50
I normally really like pork chop with broken rice because it's filling, tasty and cheap but this one was bad. It was served with steamed rice not the special broken rice the skin style pork had no flavor and the steamed egg was way over cooked. Very disappointing. 

Mây's Cafe is not the yummiest but it works when we need a Vietnamese food fix with our toddler because the food is decent, the place is clean and the service is fairly friendly.

Mây's Cafe
2327 N Fresno #102
Fresno, CA 93703
(559) 225-7990
M-Sat: 7am-9pm
Sun:7am-3pm

Yum Meter: *

No comments: