Friday, September 26, 2008

Shanghai Chinese Cuisine, LLC

Shanghai gets rave reviews by almost everyone I've conversed with in Fresno. I vaguely remember trying it way back in high school and I think I enjoyed it. That was before I learned about the vastness of Chinese cuisine in college. I didn't know Asian food could be Americanized. That was foolish of me, if Mexican food could be Americanized to the degree of Taco Bell, how far off could Panda Express be. Chinese restaurants in Fresno are predominately Americanized. There are a few gems in town but Shanghai is not one of them. My hubby wanted to taste for himself what all the buzz was about so we went to dinner as a family and ordered the Shanghai Imperial Dinner which comes with the following for $14.99 per person, minimum of 2 orders.

Sizzling Rice Soup
Sodium and grease laden water with no fresh ingredients. High blood pressure in a bowl.

Chinese Chicken Salad
If this is on the menu and it's authenticity you're after, hit the door. There's absolutely nothing authentic about Chinese chicken salad. This one was a platter of iceberg lettuce with some old fried chicken (probably fried 2+ days ago) and fried won ton skins drizzled in a sweet & tangy (in all the wrong places) dressing.

Sweet & Pungent Shrimp
Nothing sweet about this dish. Pungent=acutely distressing.

Pork Dumplings
The filling is a big glob of unseasoned pork wrapped in a flavorless won ton with no special dipping. I enjoy the variety Costco carries (Ling Ling) over these. The only time I eat the Costco variety is when it's a sample and I'm so starving I eat any and all samples. 

Veggie Platter
YAY! Some fresh vegetable for my baby to enjoy. Assorted vegetables stir fried with corn starched soy sauce.

Sizzling Beef Platter
This platter comes sizzling to the table is not bad tasting if you don't mind beef pseudo tenderized in corn starch. I mind. The same sauce used in the veggie platter, just a bit more salt. The food here is a lot like Joy Luck in Riverpark on Blackstone. I wonder if it's the same owner or management??? All in all I was very disappointed wasting my time, money, stomach space and taste buds here. Maybe we ordered the wrong things? I won't be returning any time soon to find out.

Shanghai Chinese Cuisine, LLC
4011 N. Blackstone Ave.
Fresno, CA 93726
(559) 221-0227

YUM Meter: 

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow. I am shocked that you did not like Shanhai. The Chinese Chicken Salad here is one of the best I have ever tasted. To each their own, I am by no means an authority on Chinese food, but I am really surprised that Shanghai didn't even get one little star.

Unknown said...

Wow, all I can think of is you have some kind of personal grievance!! If I could only choose good from one restaurant to eat from for the rest of my life....it would be the very items above from the Shanghai. It is amazing!!!! I'm from Fresno and I have never met ANYONE that's eaten here that hasn't raved about this amazing good.