Monday, December 1, 2008

Ono Hawaiian Foods

OK so November was a bust for blogging but definitely not for eating. My family went on a vacation to Oahu in November and Hawaii has some good eats. First YUM-O spot hit was Ono Hawaiian Foods. A girlfriend and I stumbled on this place the very first time I visited Hawaii back in '98. We were drawn to hole in the wall eateries which are hard to find along the Waikiki beach with all the beach front hotels. This state treasure is a quaint little hole in the wall that serves up Hawaiian dishes like kalua pig, lau lau, chicken long rice, haupia, etc. I stop by here every time I'm fortunate enough to visit Oahu. This post is a little light on the pics because I was too hungry to snap pictures before I devoured my meal which consisted of: chicken long rice (pictured below), pipikaula (Hawaiian dried beef), lomi salmon, poi, and haupia. I really need to stop blogging on an empty stomach during my lunch hour. 

Chicken Long Rice Plate $12
My chicken long rice was as good as I remembered but everything else didn't live up to my previous visits. Not even the haupia which is my FAVE. Everything was over salted and my haupia lacked coconut flavor, actually it lacked flavor period. Maybe it's because I ate a haupia malasada from Leonard's right before we sat down to eat. Or maybe it was just a fluke night. 

Ono Hawaiian Foods
726 Kapahulu Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96816
(808) 737-2275
www.geocities.com/napavalley/9874

YUM Meter: * (but usually ***)

No comments: