Monday, December 8, 2008

Yakiniku Hiroshi

So I've been stalling to post about this place because every time I look at the pics to post my mouth and body yearn to eat it again. If you're staying in Waikiki, you DEFINITELY need to hit this spot. A bit pricey but worth every penny.

A Korean style BBQ restaurant done the Japanese way. The Korean part: order your desired cuts of meat and cook it on the grill in front of you. The Japanese part: you pay for all the additional fixins such as rice, kimchee, and salad.  The other special Japanese component of this restaurant is the quality of the beef. By far the best beef I've had in the United States. The beef is fresh, never frozen USDA prime. I didn't know US beef could be so marbled; I thought that only existed in Japan.

For dinner they offer two chef's dinner which includes various cuts of meet and some fixins for a set price. We chose the cheaper (if you can really call it that) dinner. I should have wrote down all the cuts but I was starving and had a cranky baby who wanted nothing to do with this yakiniku house. But I think I recall most of the reasons why we picked our dinner besides the price: beef tongue, rib eye, kalbi short rib, Hiroshi's salad, kimchee, daikon kimchee, namul, rice and dessert.  Honestly, I think I recalled the full dinner (see mommy-hood doesn't kill all your brain cells). The set dinner cost us $50 per person, which was a really good deal considering that price included tax and tip, and there was no way we could get all those cuts and the sides for that price a la carte.  

Our meal was orgasmic. Since enjoying Kobe beef in Kobe, Japan, I have not enjoyed beef this much. It made me appreciate why I'm not a vegetarian and why I could never be one. The meat had enough fat for it's juicy goodness to be enjoyed even if you over cooked it (easy to do with a toddler). My baby is not too fond of beef but she got one taste and the whole restaurant could hear her say, "MORE pulease!" Maybe that's why I was still hungry. I believe there were two dipping sauces which is more than a Korean joint. One was a ponzu type and the other I think was a ginger based sauce. Both sauces were good but I love ponzu. Hiroshi's salad was good and refreshing but the portion was only enough for one person so the salad didn't make it past the first cut of beef which was the tongue. OK, I know, you're thinking GROSS, but seriously the Japanese know how to cook and use beef tongue to where you would never know you were eating it unless you were told or are familiar with it. Seriously, don't knock it till you try it.

For a Japanese restaurant, the namul and kimchee were not bad. They even served us kim (toasted seaweed) which my daughter enjoyed. Back to the beef, I was gobbling and enjoying this stuff so much that I hardly touched my rice and was seriously contemplating ordering another dinner and throwing our budget out to sea. The beef was seasoned with salt and after grilling it however you like, you put this hot piece of juicy meat in your mouth and lead your taste buds to ecstasy. Each bite releases more juice and some delicious fat. It's so tender you're teeth hardly have to work then you swallow and let your tummy enjoy a bit of what your mouth just did.

Hiroshi also serves other items to be grilled that I've never had grilled before. Ddeok was a pleasant and tasty surprise. The kabocha was good too. After the beef love making, we were served a dessert mochi ice cream and homemade candy wafers. I didn't think anything could properly conclude this meal but those wafers were DANG good. It was a thin crisp of toffee with various nuts. They sell them for a hefty price tag and I so wanted them but hubby said no, they're too expensive, which they were. A small bag of maybe 6 pieces (about the size of a nilla wafer but square) cost $12. I wish money grew on trees so I could eat as decadently to my mouth's content. They give you a small bottle of water on your way out which was a nice and memorable ending to our fabulous meal.

Side dishes: kimchee & daikon kimchee

Beautiful rib eye & kalbii seasoned with salt. Check out the marbling!

They had high tech grills that sucked up the smoke pronto.

Yakiniku Hiroshi
339 Royal Hawaiian Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96815
808-923-0060
http://www.yakinikuhiroshi.net/flash.htm

YUM Meter: *** (off the charts yummy!)

No comments: